Here’s a new report that contains some interesting stats about the use of social marketing by companies. It’s by author Michael Stelzner, an expert on white papers who describes himself as a ‘fellow social media marketing traveller’.
Stelzner polled 900 marketers and found that:
- 88% are including social media in their marketing strategy
- 72% are relatively new to social media
- 64% use social media for 5 hours or more each week
- 39% use it for 10 hours a week
- 81% say the main benefit is generating exposure (followed by increasing traffic and building new business relationships)
- Over half experience higher search engine rankings as a result of using social media
Stelzner also lists the questions that companies have about how to use social media:
1. What are the best tactics
2. How do I measure the effectiveness of social media
3. Where do I start?
4. How do I manage the social balance?
5. What are the best sites and tools out there?
6. How do I make the most of my available time?
7. How do I find and focus my efforts on my target audience?
8. How do I convert my social media marketing efforts into tangible results?
9. How do I cohesively tie different social media efforts together?
10. Does social media marketing work, and if so, how effective is it?
Stelzner discusses all these points in a bit of detail. The report is free to download, and is well worth a look. It’s available here, and there’s also a video in which he talks you through it.